I’ve owned this TV for almost 3 years now, and have just finally figured out how to turn off the overscan that is set automatically from the factory. It’s not in the normal On Screen Menu that you can access via your remote control, so there is a bit of technical work involved with making the change.
I had never noticed the overscan until I attached a mac computer to my TV to use Frontrow, Boxee, and some other entertainment based applications. It never really bothered me until then, and I searched through every bit of the on-screen menus to try and turn it off.
I found that there was no way to turn it off. If I turned on overscan in the display settings on my mac, it made the top menubar move off the top of the screen, and the dock was barely visible. If I turned off the overscan feature it made a black border about 3/4″ thick all the way around the screen. There was no way that I could find to get the screen to fit correctly.
I really started to notice this when watching movies through Netflix Streaming and Hulu+ TV shows on my new AppleTV and my RokuHD box. I finally got my girlfriend to look up the answer for me. There wasn’t anything in the way of an answer except the information of how to get to the service menus on the TV.
So, without further ado:
- Turn off the TV.
- Unplug all devices from the back of the TV.
- Unplug the AC power to the TV.
- Press the Power button several times with the AC power unplugged, then hold the power button in for about 30 seconds with the AC power still unplugged. (This often took me several attempts to get the menu to come up).
- Hold down the Channel Down button on the side of the TV, while holding it down, plug in the AC power. Once you hear the TV turn on, release the Channel down button immediately. Within a few seconds you should see a two row menu come up on the screen.
- Use the Up/Down and Left/Right arrow keys on the remote (D-pad) to cycle through the options. This will be accomplished with the left-most number highlighted in a green block. You will want to use the Up/Down arrows to move to Item #25 (LetteerBoxOvSc).
- Now use the Left/Right arrow to move the green box to the column labeled “Value”. Change the number to 0 using the Up/Down arrows, then use the Left/Right arrow to move back to the “Index” column.
- Now use the Up/Down arrows to go to item # 55 (LeftOvS), and again use the Left/Right arrow to move to the “Value” column and change the number to 0 using the Up/Down arrows.
- Move back to the “Index” column and repeat step 8 for items 56 – 58 (RightOvS, TopOvS, and BottomOvS).
- When all items are 0, press the “Menu” button on the remote to return to regular viewing mode.
- Turn off the TV. Re-connect a device that you know Overscans, and see if it looks proper now.
- If it does, then reconnect all devices and enjoy.
- If not, then you cn navigate back in and make the changes again.
- Hope this helps anyone else having this issue.